A Message from Kirk Smothers, Head of School
Welcome to our home on the web, I am delighted that you are here to take a closer look at Delaware Valley Friends School. Please, take your time and explore our site to learn what makes DVFS the exemplary learning community that it is. While nothing can substitute for spending time among our students, faculty and staff, we hope that you begin to gather a sense of what makes DVFS so special.
Here are a few thoughts:
- DVFS is a model Quaker school and a model school for bright and creative students who learn differently. It is neither a Quaker school that happens to serve students who learn differently, nor an LD school that happens to be Quaker. The two halves of the school’s identity are inextricably interwoven and they support each other in profound ways.
- We look at students for their strengths first, and then we help them overcome their individual challenges. The needs of students who learn differently are frequently misunderstood by even the most caring teachers. Students who learn differently are often made to feel inferior in schools that do not understand them.
- Our teachers are among the very best in the nation and the world at helping students who learn differently to reach new heights of achievement and growth. Our faculty is made up of distinguished educators who implement individualized strategies to help students with a wide range of language based and other learning differences.
- We deliver what we promise. Many schools talk about using researched-based methods, and some even mean it. At DVFS, we work very hard to be at the front edge of developing knowledge about how students learn best and we innovate in thoughtful and meaningful ways to ensure that our curriculum and approach represent the best of what is happening in education.
- Students graduate from DVFS self-aware and able to self-advocate. Our students understand their learning differences because instead of covering them, they have wrestled directly with them and have learned how to be successful in academia and in life.
- Students graduate from DVFS with a sense of their place in the world that is informed by Quaker values. At DVFS, the SPICES (Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality and Service) are lived and cultivated in all aspects of community life.
- We know how to have fun. When students walk into our doors each day, they enter a world where they can simply be themselves. They never have to hide who they are as learners or individuals and the result is that they are free to simply be the creative, athletic, intellectual, playful, and joyous pre-teens, teens and young adults. DVFS students love their school and the opportunities it provides for them to explore who they are and who they are becoming.
For more than a quarter century, Delaware Valley Friends School has proudly maintained its place as a leader in both Quaker and LD education. Please linger on our site and come to see us to understand why.
Kirk Smothers, Head of School